Welcome to Moredon Nursery!
We are a maintained Nursery offering government-funded childcare for both 15 and 30 hour placements. Our 15 hour placements are broken down into 5 daily sessions lasting 3 hours each. The morning session runs from 8.40-11.40. Children entitled to 30 hours have the same hours as Reception and KS1 children - 8.40-3.10 Monday- Thursday and 8.40-1.30 on Friday.
The Nursery is run by Miss Godfrey and supported by Mrs Essam, Mrs Robbins and Mrs Cleary.
As we are part of the school, we get involved with lots of the whole-school activities and have school expectations.
- The children wear uniform to school and bring in a bookbag where they can take a book home to read. It’s really important for children to have a story read to them everyday. The children can record what they have been up to at home in their sharing news book too.
- The children will take part in a PE lesson once a week, later on in the academic year. They need a PE kit for this.
- The children will get messy on a Wednesday, down on the field for Welly Wednesday! During this time, they take part in outdoor learning activities. Bring some wellies!
Throughout the week, the children have access to a large indoor and outdoor space covering all seven learning areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage. Children can choose from a wide range of activities including construction, role-play, small world, sand, water, playdough, painting, riding trikes, going on a bug hunt and much more. The children in Nursery take part in a wide range of adult-initiated activities too, regularly focusing on phonics, reading and mathematics.
Across the year, children will be learning about the following topics.
- Term 1 – Colours: We explore red, yellow, blue and green, reading different stories, singing songs and even trying food, all related to the colour of the week!
- Term 2 – Colours: We further explore colours and take a look at orange, pink, purple, brown, black, white and grey. In the run up to Christmas we look at the shiny colours of silver and gold!
- Term 3 – Traditional Tales: We read stories such as Goldilocks and the Three Bears, The Gingerbread Man and the Three Little Pigs. All our learning is themed to these stories.
- Term 4 – People Who Help Us: This is a great term with community visitors including fire fighters and police officers.
- Term 5 – Animals: We look at animals from the tiny to the huge!
- Term 6 – Summer!: We spend lots of time learning how to play collaborate games, have pretend picnics and take part in lots of sand and water play!
Throughout the year, we look at different festivals that are celebrated and explore the seasons too. During some of these weeks, we provide enrichment snack for the children, e.g. noodles at Chinese New Year, different colour food during our colour weeks, etc. In order to provide this, we ask for an annual £10 snack contribution from parents to cover the cost.
Miss Godfrey is always available to speak to at the end of a Nursery session if you have any questions or if you would like to know how your child is getting on.